Eating on a budget is not something your usually hear in the Asheville area. With all of the amazing culinary options that exist, are birthing, and coming to our City; some of us will soon need to visit the bank and apply for a “Foodie Loan” just to experience it all each and every day. The deliciousness is like non-stop! But everyone is not willing, and many cannot pay $20, $50, $100 or $200 for a meal; even on a special occasion. And depending on the time of the day it is, and what you are doing; it may not make sense to eat expensive. Many “locals” who live and work in the area have expressed that they cannot afford to eat out in their own community. So these places came through, and now you can.
Here are a few places in the Asheville area that will not break the bank, but should and will satisfy your appetite!
1. Eats & Treats Cafe: this spot has incredible food for the price! I can go here and get a big, fresh, homemade breakfast for about $6. Lunch and Dinner are just a tad higher. In addition to this, they always have cake and other treats made by the owner herself; plus an Ice Cream station, just in time for the hot weather! You can eat inside, or hang out in the Gazebo or tables outside. Free Wifi too. They are located between Asheville & Weaverville in Woodfin NC.
2. Frank’s Roman Pizza: when it comes to great pizza is the Asheville area, Frank’s, who has been around for 35+ Years, somehow always takes the lead. And it is not just pizza. We are talking subs, salads, calzones and many Italian dishes that will make a native New Yorker feel at home, and a native North Carolinian feel as if they are in pizza heaven. Their prices are so right for the delicious food they serve. My favorite calzone in Asheville easy; possibly even better than Lenny’s in Brooklyn. $7 per person has been our average price when eating here with family and friends. They have locations in Asheville on Tunnel Rd right across from Walgreens, another location in West Asheville / Enka on Sardis Rd, and a third partner location in Woodfin NC.
3. Dragon China: this spot in West Asheville keeps the food delivery services busy all night long sometimes. Fresh, yummy, hot Chinese food.. cooked to order, along with great prices. It will be hard to find quality Asian food in the area that compares to this family run business.
4. Woody’s Hoagies: this place has the Cheesesteak right out of Philly! Great appetizers, hoagies, beer and pizza too. With their delish food and great pricing, this spot has become one of the best budget eating spots in AVL. They just recently started staying open until 2 in the morning on Friday and Saturday, which gives all of us a wonderful late-night food option!
5. Eddie’s Dog House: if you are looking for authentic hot dogs from Nathan’s, great burgers, 18 hour smoked beef brisket, french fries and onion rings… this is the spot for you! They even have a traveling food camper and can set up just about anywhere. Hot Dog!
Do you have any suggestions for eating on a budget in Asheville & WNC? Where can we eat on a budget in Weaverville, Hendersonville, Waynesville, Black Mountain and all of the other towns across Western North Carolina? Please comment below and let us know..