I just love how this time of year brings out the best in people. Sure, it can be said that the opposite is true, especially if you happen to venture anywhere near the malls and shopping areas (which is why I tend to avoid Tunnel Road like the plague this time of year) of town. Frantic shopping and traffic aside, this is the season when community building resources and organizations really shine with churches, charities, schools and individuals reaching out and lending a helping hand to those who need it.
One of the first things I noticed when I moved to Asheville over 7 years ago was the strong sense of community within the business and social networks. I have noticed a collective desire to see Asheville and all of its inhabitants thrive and be well and also so many passionate people out there every day making a difference.
The rich community of yoga teachers and studios in Asheville is no exception. In addition to many other business in town, yoga networks are reaching out to the community with events to raise awareness and support for those less fortunate this holiday season.
Yoga classes, with their deep breathing and conscious relaxation exercises, are a great way to reduce stress during the holidays. So, why not get to class and contribute to a good cause at the same time? Sounds like a win-win to me!
Below is a list of upcoming donation based classes and special holiday yoga events in Asheville:
- Help the Hungry, Yoga Without Borders: Ongoing through Dec 31st, 2009 Half of all the money taken in at the studio in December will go towards helping to feed the hungry. Click for more info
- OM for the Holidays Gift/Fund Drive: Ongoing through Dec 15th, 2009 West Asheville Yoga’s 3rd annual toy/gift/fund drive to support foster children for Christmas. Click for more info
- GAYA Food/Coat Drive: Sunday Dec 13th, 2009 10:00am-12:00pm Join members of the Greater Asheville Yoga Association in raising food and coat donations. Click for more info
- Holiday Restoratives: Yoga and Yoga Nidra Workshops with Kaoverii Weber: Fridays Dec 10th and 17th, 2009 6:00pm–8:00pm Cost: by donation ($5–25 suggested). Proceeds benefit Manna Food Bank. You may also bring a non-perishable food item. Click for more info
- Holiday Yoga Prop Swap: Friday Dec 18th, 2009 4:30pm–6:30pm Bring yoga-related items in good to excellent condition to swap with others in the spirit of sharing. Click for more info
Other yoga studios in town have already had fund-raising events. For example, ASHEVILLE YOGA CENTER had their “Burn the Turkey” benefit and food drive on November 28th which was a huge success! If you know of any events that I haven’t listed, please post the information below.
Seeing people helping other people really warms me up from the inside. Who needs hot chocolate when you have such a warm community of folks here in Asheville, right?
See you in class!
Lindsay Fields is currently teaching yoga at Anytime Fitness in West Asheville and South Asheville Yoga Studio. For more information on yoga and Lindsay including her current class schedule, please visit lindsayfields.com.
Photo courtesy of Anna Ferguson of Asheville.