If you’ve been using the recycling drop-off center behind Earth Fare West, then recycling just got more difficult! The dumpsters are gone, replaced with a sign apologizing for the inconvenience and suggesting alternate sites:
- Curbside Management – 116 North Woodfin Ave. – Always Open
- Curbside Management (Asheville Pizza & Brewing Company) – 675 Merrimon Ave. – Always Open
- Buncombe County Landfill – 85 Panther Branch Rd. – Mon. through Fri. 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and Sat. 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Buncombe County Transfer Station – 190 Hominy Creek Rd. – Mon. through Fri. 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and Sat. 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
If you live in west Asheville, and your working hours permit, the closest option is the Transfer Station. If you live in east or south Asheville, or if your working hours don’t coincide with the Transfer Station’s hours, your only option is to travel further or take time off of work. Traveling further (presumably driving) isn’t Eco-friendly and one wonders if that extra driving distance negates the environmental pluses of recycling. Taking time off of work … well, not many employers would appreciate that.
Hope is not lost! According to Wendy Simmons, Solid Waste Manager, the Public Works Department has “just begun a waste stream reduction program to evaluate the solid waste and recycling needs for our community at this time and into the future.” She further states that they are continually working to improve their recycling program and our feedback is important to that process.
So, here’s what we can do:
- Contact Ms. Simmons and let her know what your recycling needs are (her contact information can be found HERE).
- If you live in an apartment community, ask the management to consider setting up a recycling program for your complex (Ms. Simmons told me that she’d be happy to work with them to investigate options).
Recycling is important … to Asheville and to the environment. Let the city know that you want to participate.
Small Footprints is the author of Reduce Footprints, a blog about the easy ways that we can reduce our footprint on the earth.