A bunch of Asheville Teenagers recently participated in a private survey. They were asked “Who is your Favorite Teacher ever, why, and what school?” For this post, it was limited to 50 responses and they are listed below. Feel free to leave a comment and tell us about your “Favorite Teacher Ever” and why.
1. Brielle F – Mrs. Shope, she taught me a lot and pushed like no teacher has before. Cane Creek Middle
2. Chariden L – Mr. Green at Enka. Because he’s awesome.
3. Paola A – Mrs. Wallace, Spanish teacher at Enka High. She’s just really cool, and she helped me out a lot in school & with personal stuff.
4. Travis H – Mr. Jones at Enka High.
5. Tyler C – My favorite teacher is McRoberts, Enka.
6. Lindsey D – North Buncombe High. my favorite teacher’s name is Mr. Lapp, civics teacher, because he makes learning enjoyable and he’s just all around a great teacher!
7. Sydney W – Her name is Ms. Maggi (pronounced like Maj-e)
Because she never judged anyone and she was always happy and she made everything that we did in gym very fun. I had her in 9th grade at North Buncombe.
8. Amanda B – Umm Mr. Hartley, Enka High School And just cause he was awesome, easy to get along with, and talked to you like you were as old as him, not like a child, and he was really funny and easy going.
9. Faith R – Mrs Brown. Black Mountain Elementary, because she’s nice, really helpful!
10. Hayley S – Hahaha . Uhmmm hmmm . I’d probably have to say Mrs. Winebarger from Candler Elementary! She was the sweetest teacher ever (:
11. Jennifer A – My fav teacher… Mrs Allborg why..because she was nice and when she yelled she would always smile while she was doing it so it made it less worse. Candler Elementary (:
12. Mandiie G – Haha okaaaay. Mr. Kotchmar – SILSA. Because he has complete faith that every student can succeed and never gives up on a student. Also, he makes learning fun.
13. Bernard A – Mrs. Nicholson – Asheville High School. She is the absolute best music teacher I’ve ever had. She gives every student a chance and actually cares about music. She doesn’t just teach how to sing, she also actually teaches the foundations, and I value her love for music.
14. Hailey D – Ms. Hooper, She is really nice. Enka High.
15. Lillie B – Hmm, Id say Mr. Johnson from Enka Middle. He was chill, and I really enjoyed having him as a teacher, haha.
16. Vallerie A – Mr. Markey, Canton Middle, he seemed really caring of the students. He would always work with his students to make sure they understood.
17. Nelson C – Mr. Weiland, he was chill with me and he was a cool dude! Math teacher at Enka High School.
18. Autumn L – Um, Enka High and my favorite teacher is Mrs Bryant because she’s really nice and it’s an easy class.
19. Starla B – My favorite teacher in High School had to be Mrs. Rhymer. I really just adore her she always took the time to help people no matter what she was doing and shes very understanding and caring and she cared more about you as a person not just as some other student she’s teaching. She teaches different computer classes at Owen High School.
20. Nef J – Mrs. Collins at Black Mountain Primary, if it wasn’t for her i wouldn’t know how to read or do math properly.
21. Nicholas A – Haha sure thing. My favorite teacher is Mrs Newman, North Buncombe High School because she taught me more than just education, she is a like a life lesson teacher.
22. Sydney A – Mr. Clements, cause he is a great teacher and he is funny and an automotive teacher, Enka High School
23. Brooke L – Um i would say Mrs. Benton cause her class is really easy and fun and at Enka High
24. Ethan M – Mr. Foote at CHS because he’s awesome in general.
25. Kyle M – Mr. Shaffer, he was always up beat cause he was the coach, Enka
26. Kayla R – Hahah, I’m going to say Mr. Johnson because he helped me so much last year, without him I wouldn’t have been able to get through that year. He was there for me and was just a great influence. Enka Middle..
27. Summer V – Enka, obviously hah. And Mr. Hartley because he takes the time to personally help you if you need it, he actually cares!
28. Olivia M – Mr. Parent. West Henderson, because instead of him giving up on me or being a stuck up teacher, he’s there for me.
29. Maria A – My fav teacher has been Mrs. T because she was my first grade teacher she was always motivating me to talk to others when I was new to school and it was Vance Elementary School. She is a sweetheart and she is unique.
30. Felicia H – Ha ummm, Mrs. Julie Brown of course. North Buncombe Middle. Andddd because she’s beautiful and she’s hilarious and I love her.
31. Hunter B – My 8th grade history teacher. Joshua Alexander. At Enka Middle.
32. Fallon C – Well it was my 10th English teacher Mr. Park. & it was at Palm Beach Lake High School.
33. Scott F – Mrs. Franklin at Enka High and because she was fun and a great teacher.
34. Hunter J – Enka Middle, Ms. King because she was hilarious and a pretty easy class.
35. Patrick M – Mr Dibella, Enka Middle School, helped me get on my feet and start editing videos , thanks to him I have an internship with Lucasfilm.
36. Angel H – Mr. Gesing, Enka High, and because he’s so chill & nice, and fun to have as a teacher!
37. Madison M – Mr. Gillespie because he doesn’t give us homework, we are always working or just goofing off outside, and he is just an all round great guy and North Buncombe High School.
38. Candace H – favorite teacher of all time is John Shepard one of the history teachers at Enka High cause he’s just the best!!!!!!!!!!
39. Taylor W – Mrs. Kurk because she’s like a mom. Enka High
40. Braden H – Mrs. Karnezis, Enka Middle and because she genuinely seemed to care about how i was doing and how my day was going and she was quite hilarious.
41. Estaban F – Mr. Green, he is funny and Enka High School.
42. Kelsey L – Well Mr. Gesing because hes a pretty cool teacher. He’s laid back. Enka High.
43. Sierra L – Mr. Barger from Sand Hill Elementary. awesome and he trusted me to help him out in class like an assistant.
44. Isaiah P – Mr. Wheeler, he’s a substitute, he’s super cool, Enka.
45. Logan C – Mr. Dibella Enka Middle School because he was coolest teacher ever
46. Tre L – Haha. World history. Mr. Smith and Valley Springs. He was so funny!
47. Leah M – Hahaha alright, umm Mr. Jones, because he always makes the class funny, and Enka High.
48. Kristen T – My favorite teacher is Mrs. King and because she just a teacher I can talk to and she adopted me as her daughter. North Buncombe High.
49. Cheyenne L – Mrs. Kuykendall because she was easy going at Community High School
50. Jessica P – Haha. Alright. Well, my favorite teacher was Mrs. Greene because she was nice and knew how to teach things correctly. And she used to be a teacher at Enka High.
Thank you to Joseph for compiling this list!
And these are just a few. There are so many more great Teachers out there that have contributed endlessly to the lives and education of their students. I am a debtor to the folks that taught me. They brought the known to the unknown, education to my emptiness, and light to my darkness. I grew up watching my Aunt and Uncle, who are big educational proponents in NYC, work day and night (and then some) to make sure their students are educated properly and succeed in life. A big thank you to all of the great Teachers who give and gave a part of their heart, mind and soul to their students everyday. Some are recognized, so many go unnoticed; but all of us reap of the benefits of education in our society every single moment.
Please take a minute to comment below and let us know which Teacher or Teachers helped your education and life; wherever it was and however long ago. Thank you.