There was once a day in Asheville, not too long ago, when folks felt pretty comfortable leaving their doors unlocked, their windows open to get some fresh air, and all were welcome. Those days are quickly becoming a thing of the past. As the times progress and communities continue to grow, along comes more sticky fingers and crime. I remember years ago in Weaverville, our family was missing some lawn ornaments from the yard. Then a few weeks later we couldn’t find the weedeater. Then tools started disappearing from the shed. It was not too long after, that a neighbor who had become addicted to drugs, was busted for burglarizing half the neighborhood.
Crime affects all of our lives. We pay extra money for items in the store because they inflate prices to make up for the loss companies know will come from theft, whether by employees or by shoplifting. So when it comes to crime, we all pay as a community. With the holiday season coming up, Santa may not be the only one trying to get down your chimney, and into your home or business. Anyone can be a victim. Nobody is immune to this. But there are several ways for you to deter crime and make sure you are not the easiest target in our community.
We got a chance to talk with Justin over at American Eagle Locksmith and he hears stories of homes broken into and broken hearts all the time. People come in to buy a safe, talking about how now they have nothing left… no family heirlooms, their antique jewelry stolen, gun collection gone, and money they were stashing at home taken. New home owners tell him how they should have re-keyed their house, and if only they knew how many people actually had copies of the keys when they purchased their home. Sadness as they say… I wish I would have gotten a safe to protect my family photos and irreplaceable items before they all went up in smoke when my house burnt down to the ground. It is an invasion of your life, your family, and your world; which deserves to be secure.
Imagine going home today, even right now, and everything you have has vanished. No furniture, no clothes, and no valuables left. A huge part of your life and living would be gone forever. Home sweet home is no more.
Did You Know:
Two million home burglaries are reported each year in the USA. 30 percent of all burglaries are through an open or unlocked window or door. 66 percent are residential home crimes.
Homes without a security system are up to 300% more likely to be broken into. Only 17% of the homes in U.S. have a security system installed.
Every 13 seconds a home intrusion is committed.
One out of three residential assaults are during a burglary.
Police solve only 13% of all reported burglaries because of no witnesses or physical evidence.
Home break-ins mostly occur in the daytime when people are at school or work.
Most common method of forced entry is simply to kick in the door.
Leaving a window open that is visible from the street is a good reason to target your house.
Leaving a window open with only a locked window screen is inviting to thieves.
What can you do to prevent becoming a victim?
Home security statistics tell us that burglars will usually bypass a house if it requires too much effort or more skills or tools than they possess.
- A solid core or metal door at entrance points.
- Install a heavy-duty deadbolt with a one inch throw bolt.
- Buy a quality knob-in-lock set with dead latch mechanism.
- Install a heavy duty strike plate with 3 inch screws into the frame.
- Change your view to a wide angle peephole.
- Moving into a new house or apartment? Change all of the door locks.
American Eagle Locksmith is located in the Asheville area and offers several cautionary measures to help your home security:
- Change Locks – they have many types of locks including high security keyways.
- Safes – a wide of safes that can be secured to your home with their installation service, featuring a steel and concrete combination that is too heavy to move, multi-hour fire resistant, and water resistant.
- Digital Viewer – burglars usually ring your doorbell either days before or on the same day of the burglary. This device takes a photo of them and saves it.
- Complimentary Full Home Evaluation: Justin and his team of experts are ready to take a big bite out of crime with you. They can come by your home, evaluate the premises, and give you a list of recommendations on everything you may need to keep your home safe & secure. This includes a home security plan, window inspection, door and entry point inspection including garages, skylights, and breezeways.
We definitely want to give a big thanks to all of the law enforcement who deter and fight crime, plus solve cases daily. But lets keep our eyes open and work together even more to help make our homes secure, and our communities safer; especially here in the mountains of Asheville and Western North Carolina.