When you think about Asheville breweries, the first thing that comes to mind is craft beer of course. But after a short time, and a few brews, your stomach starts to kick in and put in a food request. You can always go to a restaurant that features plenty of local Asheville beer, as so many places do. Barley’s Pizza for example is a staple in downtown Asheville, and although Highland Brewing started their operation in the basement, they have never actually brewed any beer themselves. Instead they have a pizzeria that hosts craft beer taps from the local area, as well as specialty nationwide taps.
Many of you want that brewery experience. In the past, breweries kind of strayed away from food for the most part. Some did not want to seem competitive with eateries, while other just didn’t want the responsibility of food. Because if the food is not great, the beer begins to not taste so great either; consistency is important. So they either offered bar snacks or maybe even featured one of the local food trucks.
Now several breweries in Asheville are serving some delicious food options, and we even caught ourselves going there for the food first, and drinking a brew as an afterthought.
Here are the Asheville breweries-eateries that you must try:
Sweeten Creek Brewing – they have their own brews on taps as well as several guest taps, and they are all good! But the sandwiches are out of this world. This spot will easily become your favorite sandwich shop. (featured in photo 1)
Bhramari Brewhouse – talk about some amazing food and brews, this place has it all. You do not want to come to Asheville without stopping here for a beer and something to eat. (featured in photo 2)
Wicked Weed Brewing – this place did not go from zero to hero by mistake. It was a calculated plan of stellar craft beer, mixed with a bunch of food options.
Lexington Avenue Brewery – a local hangout in downtown Asheville that features many craft beer taps, a menu with lots of food, and one of the best people watching patios in the area.
Asheville Pizza & Brewing – what goes better with a bunch of local craft beer taps than pizza? This spot has always been on point, and perfect if you are looking for a pizza & pub food spot that specializes in brewing their own beer.
Heading north from downtown Asheville on Merrimon Ave, there are a few key stops you may want to make when on the hunt for great beer on tap.
1. Luella’s Barbecue – One of our favorite places for barbecue in the Asheville area. Lots of craft beer on tap and also a full bar. Bar area and full restaurant.
2. The Bywater – This place is the Beer Only bar. Lots of taps and also wine and cocktails available. Great Asheville Beer setting and crowd. No food available, beer snacks periodically, allows outside delivery from places like Favilla’s NY Pizza, Valet Gourmet, etc. This is the only bar on the list that is not on Merrimon Ave, but it is worth the small detour.
3. Asheville Pizza – Great selection of local craft beer from their brewery and also several guest taps. Pizza everywhere, also a game room and movie theater. Nice place for the whole family.
4. Avenue M AVL – 14 taps, an outside patio, a full restaurant and a nice lounge area. Great food and cocktails.Tuesdays are local craft beer on tap night and trivia night. This is one of our favorite eating spots on the northside of town. Try the beef medallions appetizer!
5. Northside Grill – Lots of beer on tap including several local craft brews. Also a full restaurant, pool tables upstairs, jukebox and 2 bars. This is the last stop north before heading past Beaver Lake and into the Woodfin community.
6. Mother and Son Bistro – 3 beer taps and getting ready to possibly go to 8 locals and craft beer. No bar area, only tables inside and outside, but a beer bar may be coming soon. Full restaurant with many baked goods and desserts. Local beer used periodically in certain special cooked dishes. This is the furthest spot north before hitting Weaverville, where Blue Mountain Pizza and Jack of Hearts will be reigning and our choices when we are out that way.